Awards and citations:


1997: Le Prix du Champagne Lanson Noble Cuvée Award for investigations into Champagne for the Millennium investment scams

2001: Le Prix Champagne Lanson Ivory Award for investdrinks.org

2011: Vindic d'Or MMXI – 'Meilleur blog anti-1855'

2011: Robert M. Parker, Jnr: ‘This blogger...’:

2012: Born Digital Wine Awards: No Pay No Jay – best investigative wine story

2012: International Wine Challenge – Personality of the Year Award




Wednesday 22 December 2010

1855 (1855.com) – another customer lost for good



The number of cases (ordered and paid for) that I know that customers of 1855 have not received has now passed 100 – a shameful and shocking total. Below is a typical experience of an ex-customer of 1855

'I saw your post on the LPV thread .... I'm a Brit living in France - hence writing in English.

I suspect you are scratching at just the tip of the iceberg with your most welcome investigations!
Having ordered 30 bottles of 2005 Bdx primeurs in May 2006 from 1855.com, and paid the purchase tax (19,6% TVA) 2 years later as requested by the vendor (in order, in theory, to clear the way for delivery of my wine)  ... the company adopted a policy of radio silence!

After initial enquiries and pestering I was eventually delivered 12 bottles (a year late) and then, several months later, a further 6 bottles. However,  despite numerous telephone calls and over 25 emails ... usually greeted with a delayed apologetic reply (typically from a different customer service contact each time) quoting promised resolution in about a 4-6 week timeframe ... the final 12 bottles (6 x Ch. du Tertre and 6 x Labégorce-Zédé) were never delivered. FYI, I frequently copied M. Hyon in  case it would help my cause (it didn't!). 

The last email reply I received was the first that proposed reimbursement in lieu of my precious wines!  Clearly, this company sells wines 'en primeur' that it does not have  covered by its primeur commitments to the Bdx chateaux and the négotiants ...  hence it has rapidly become known as the Madoff of the French wine industry  - a Ponzi scheme that will surely end in tears some day. A reason for buying  wines en primeur is that you know its provenance (1855.com can only be trying to  secure much of their wine on the open market ... 3 years after it has been bottled!?!).
For these reasons, recently (November 2010) I reluctantly took the  decision to accept the offer of reimbursement (initially paid to 1855.com in May  2006 ..!!) for only the original value of the wine ... even though the  market value had increased by at least 50% - not even the offer to add interest to my cash that they had held in their bank account for over 4 years! At the end  of the day, I concluded that getting my 300€ back from 1855.com was a better result than waiting for the administrators to be called in!
Of course, I will not be placing any more orders with this company, and my advice to anyone I discuss wine-purchasing in France with is the same. A  neighbour is still awaiting his 2006 bottles ... same old story & 'excuses'

.... and another customer lost for good. I hope this experience helps to build your knowledge of the unsustainable business practices adopted by 1855.com. I fail to see how they will survive in the future ... many outstanding commitments of expensive wines that they don't (yet) own, and many, many customers lost forever  ... who, by word-of-mouth, are hampering their ability to recruit  new naive recruits!

    
The message is clear: Do not buy from 1855 (1855.com)       

No comments: