Awards and citations:


1997: Le Prix du Champagne Lanson Noble Cuvée Award for investigations into Champagne for the Millennium investment scams

2001: Le Prix Champagne Lanson Ivory Award for investdrinks.org

2011: Vindic d'Or MMXI – 'Meilleur blog anti-1855'

2011: Robert M. Parker, Jnr: ‘This blogger...’:

2012: Born Digital Wine Awards: No Pay No Jay – best investigative wine story

2012: International Wine Challenge – Personality of the Year Award




Sunday 20 February 2011

Lisbon: warm sunshine and the Vasco da Gama Bridge

Looking northwards upstream along the Tejo. The block on the left hand side is being renovated and turned into an hotel

Despite a few menacing black clouds there was warm sunshine when we went for a walk along the Tejo this morning. The Vasco bridge is always eye-catching, especially when lit up by sunshine.









Photo by CRM

9 comments:

Jean said...

Great photos, especially the one of the runners.

Jim's Loire said...

Thanks Jean. It was the luminous jackets that caught my eye. All taken with a slim Canon SX210 IS with an amazing zoom.

Luc Charlier said...

A single request, Jim. If you love bridges, take a walk to Ponte 25 Abril and then go straight to Torre de Belém. From there, the snapshot will be dramatic. But, more interesting still, please go and buy a couple of pasteís de nata for me from the “Antiga Pastelaria”, I simply love them. Don’t forget the very finely powdered sugar and the “canela” (cinnamon) either.
By way of thanks, we’ll accompany you to the Viaduc de Millau – a splendid piece of engineering and a beauty in its own right, but an insult to the landscape, I’m afraid – and to all the formidable addresses we know in the area, next time you travel southward.
Ahhh, Douce France ! (the Charles Trenet version, not Bruni’s cover).

Jim's Loire said...

Excellent suggestions Luc but all have already been done.

A pasteís de nata without cinnamon is like a night without owls.

Luc Charlier said...

I did not say « Buy pasteís ON me, but FOR me !”.
As for the Strigidae, it is the barn-owl which I prefer. I agree on that with my friend Bonnie Parker.

Jim's Loire said...

Luc. Although I'm happy to purchase some pasteis for you, the problem is that by the time I'm likely see you they will have turned rotten.

Luc Charlier said...

“ No pasteís anymore he wants them to turn rotten
I see Jimmy walk by dressed in his funny shirts
I have to turn my head because my stomach hurts ...”

Jim's Loire said...

Luc. I suggest a small glass of Coteaux du Layon taken three times a day.

Luc Charlier said...

Thank you, Dr Jimmy (and Mr Jim : Who ?), we will follow the prescription: with the meals or in between?
But tonight I go for roast pork (no leitão, I’m afraid) with caramelized cubes of pineapple and plain rice. May add a little bit of anis-estralado as well. The bottle will be Sylvaner Grand Cru Zotzenberg (Cuvée Prestige, i.e. with a little bit of residual sugar) 2008, Domaine Gilg.